Taken from Crazy Cucumber's blog. Leno is one talented cook and makes amazing recipes. She's made this delicious Tri-Layer Vegan Matcha Panna Cotta that is to die for.
If you’re a fan of Japanese desserts like green tea ice cream, you’ll probably love this wonderful dessert.
I am obsessed with the green tea and chocolate flavor combination! The matcha has a light bitterness too it, similar to cacao, both of which are nicely offset by coconut and agave syrup sweetness. Matcha pairs well with vanilla too.
This panna cotta recipe prepared with coconut milk and agar-agar. A fabulous dessert is given a vegan update with the same texture and deep flavor.
Few facts about Agar-Agar:
- Agar-Agar – vegetable substitute for gelatin powder obtained from algae,
- It is of three kinds – in flakes, powder, and bars,
- Great for making soufflé, jelly, tarts, sauces, and soups (as thickener),
- Low calories, working perfect for the diets and cleanses the body,
- Does not melt at room temperature but at temperatures above 35C,
- It solidifies at room temperature,
- For jelly is used in the ratio 1tsp in a glass of liquid (250ml) for powder and 1.5 tbs for flakes Agar,
- Only dissolves in the boiling liquid.
- 400 ml (13 fl oz) Can of rich and creamy coconut milk (I use Trade Aid brand)
- 1/2 Cup of water (120 ml)
- 2 Teaspoons Agar-Agar powder
- 2-3 Tbsp Light agave syrup
- 0,5 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1,5 Tbsp Raw cacao powder
- 0,5 Teaspoon of Premium Grade Organic Matcha from Thea + some for dusting
- In a saucepan pour coconut milk, water, add syrup and agar-agar. Bring to a boil, gently simmer for 5 minutes, mixing occasionally using the whisker. Remove from heat, add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into three parts. Pour one part into the blender, add the cacao powder and mix well. The mixture should be warm, otherwise, the agar will begin to set very quickly.
- Secure the serving glasses on an angle. Pour equal amounts of chocolate mixture into each of the glasses, enough to fill about half the glass. Chill until completely set (about 10-15 minutes). In summer time, I would recommend cooling the agar in the refrigerator
- Repeat layering with vanilla mixture, forming the second layer, wait about 10-15 minutes in between layers.
- Pour the third part of the warm mixture into the blender, add the matcha powder and mix well. Slowly pour matcha mixture into each glass. Chill until completely set and then lightly dust with matcha powder. Enjoy!
+ 3 small glasses (about 120ml capacity)